Click here www.225observer.blogspot.com to see the original version of "The 225th Observer".

Thursday, September 6, 2018

Some Good TV Shows

Fall is almost upon us, and so is a new season of TV programs.  As you may know I started my working life as a film editor for KOMO-TV in Seattle in 1966, and my interest in television has continued on through the years.  So I am always anxious to see what new programs are offered  each year.

Karin and I watched a new series this week called Warriors and Wolves, about a Navy veteran (Matt Simmons) who suffered from PTSD after getting home from the middle east.  He, along with his trained psychologist wife (Dr. Lorin Lindner), helps other veterans overcome their PTSD through working with wolves and wolf-dogs.  This Animal Planet series is filmed at the Lockwood Animal Rescue Center in Southern California.

This new series’ premier episode aired on September 1st on Animal Planet.  I have a special place in my heart for my fellow soldiers and sailors who are victims of PTSD because when I got out of the Army in 1970 I experienced, although I did not know that it was PTSD, some of the same symptoms.  I am grateful that God through his providence helped me eventually overcome it.  

Another great program Karin and I discovered this summer when we visited our son and his wife in the “Other Washington” (DC, that is) was Comedians In Cars Getting Coffee.  This is Jerry Seinfeld’s online program about, you guessed it … comedians in cars getting coffee.  Each episode Jerry arrives at various comedians’ homes (like Jim Carrey, Don Rickles, Ellen DeGeneres, Jerry Lewis, Jimmy Fallon and Chris Rock) in vintage cars and has a conversation with them as they go to various restaurants for coffee.  It’s kind of like his long-running “Seinfeld” in that it is just kinda fun to watch … no particular point except you get to know comedians a little better.  

And finally, for those of us who just religiously love old airplanes there’s the Netflix series Plane Resurrections.  There is currently the 2016 series available in the US, and another year’s worth on the way.  These guy in England who have the time and money to restore old relics have accomplished the near impossible with a North American P-51 Mustang, a T-6 Texan (or, as the English call it the “Harvard”) and, my favorite, a Navy Stearman biplane.  Several years ago our friend Alex Berkeley and I had a chance to ride in Steve Sachs’ Stearman when we were at our 20th Annual Reunion in Nashville.  We each had a wonderful time!

I recommend both of these programs to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment