Click here www.225observer.blogspot.com to see the original version of "The 225th Observer".

Monday, May 7, 2018

Joining the United States Air Force!


As I was waiting for my friend Howard Stott to have coffee at the Lake Forest Park shopping mall early in April,  I was standing in line to get my cup and a man behind me called out “Gordy.”  I turned around and the man said he saw my name on my cap. (My 225th comrade Miguel Anza gave me a nifty 1st Aviation Brigade had with “Gordy” embroidered on it when we were in DC for our annual reunion a couple of years ago.) 

Anyway, he introduced himself as Bruce Erdos and we got to talking.  Seems Bruce is a fellow Army veteran and, if I remember correctly, managed to not go to Vietnam but served honorably in the Army nevertheless.  Bruce’s dad served in Korea and then as a firefighter flying airplanes dropping water on forest fires.  Bruce invited me to meet with him and six or seven USAF vets at a Denny’s near McChord Field next to Fort Lewis (now both part of Joint Base Lewis McChord).


On April 21st I drove down to McChord and had a delightful time with these Air Force vets.  I’m sure most of these guys are a little older than me, but we all have a common love for airplanes and flying!  It’s never too late to meet new people and share our our often shared experiences in the service to this wonderful country we call the United States!

No comments:

Post a Comment