Click here www.225observer.blogspot.com to see the original version of "The 225th Observer".

Friday, June 19, 2020

The Shut-In Gazette #07

Well, I'm still here enjoying the bright Northwest sun (not being in the least sarcastic given our often rainy weather up here in Washington State); it's supposed to be in the 80s west of the Cascades and in the 90s on the other side of the state!  We are slowly opening up, but who knows how long the will last.

Anyway, on to more cheerful things...my friend Barb Michieli sent three wonderful items that I'm including this time around...

First is a belated birthday wish for the US Army!

Next is the new look for the Army:

Also from Barb...And most of us are old enough to remember Francis Gary Powers and the U2.  I remember clearly that I was in the 7th grade at Highland Junior High in Mr. Farrell's class when we got the news that he was shot down over the Soviet Union.  I also remember that while we were on the runway at Anderson AFB in Guam on my way to (or maybe coming back from) R&R I looked out my window of the passenger jet we were on and saw a U2 take off literally straight up in to the air.  What a sight!  Click on this link for an article on the Dragon Lady.

I hope all is well with you and yours!  Stay safe!

1 comment:

  1. Gordy!! Thank you. I too remember the day Francis Gary Powers was shot down. I also remember of his fatal helicopter crash years later. While flying out of Fort Huachuca I remember the U2s out of Davis Monthan AFB in Tucson. They would take off and be 10 to 12 thousand feet by the end of the runway. Some times they would sneak up on me from behind and fly formation for a while, perfectly silent. They would then fly away almost straight up in a straight and level attitude. Thank you for bringing up those memories.

    ReplyDelete