Click here www.225observer.blogspot.com to see the original version of "The 225th Observer".

Saturday, December 28, 2019

Huh?! Can You Hear Me Now?


For quite a while now I have been noticing that when my beautiful wife Karin talks to me from across the room, I have been asking her to repeat at least part of what she just said.  After this had been going on for a pretty long time (like months and months and months!) I decided to avail myself of the VA’s hearing testing program.  Let me tell you that several years ago I had my hearing checked at the main audiology clinic for our health care provider and I was told that I was not a candidate for hearing aids.

Well, to continue my story, after we moved to Lacey I decided to phone the VA near Joint Base Lewis McChord to see if I could get an appointment to be rechecked.  To make a long story longer, in August I went to the VA American Lake campus about a half hour north on I-5.  Turns out that my hearing had deteriorated enough that I qualified for VA-provided hearing aids.  In September I went in for an appointment to have my ears cleaned and then have molds taken so the hearing aids could properly be fitted.  I was told it would be about four to six weeks when they would call me to come back and get them.  I was amazed how easy the process was!

I was surprised to get a phone call about two weeks later to let me know that my new hearing aids had arrive and could I come in on Sunday, September 29th to have them fitted and adjusted.  I was delighted!  The aids were fitted and also adjusted to optimize their how they performed.  I was shown how to clean and generally take care of them.  And, maybe the best part of this is because I’m a veteran, there was No cost to me!

So now when someone asks me if I can hear them now, I can tell them “I CAN hear YOU now!”

2 comments:

  1. The VA also gave me a TV top device which lowers background music etc so that I can hear coversations on the TV. Works great

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you were able to get help! When I lost my hearing 4 years ago, no treatment was available. Please continue to encourage people to get tested and get help!

    ReplyDelete